Sunday, June 17, 2012

fancy tigers: PASS

I nearly flunked out on this attempt at the Get the Scoop crew neck variation from Sew U Home Stretch: The Built by Wendy Guide to Sewing Knit Fabrics. The neckline stretched by four inches when I applied the elastic, making me look like I was wearing a wavy bag around my neck. Forty-five minutes of picking out serger stitches was well rewarded with this improved version. I switched from standard 1/4 inch knit elastic to 3/8 inch clear elastic, set the differential to 2.0, and stretched the elastic as I serged. Yes, that was overkill. But the new neckline is cute. And I can wear it while biking without flashing oncoming traffic.

Another challenge was choosing an applique to cover up the advertising text under the tigers. My husband, who donated the shirt I cut up for the project, suggested the bow tie. I like the randomness of it.


6 comments:

  1. Good work! Glad you turned this into a pass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That clear elastic is my new favorite sewing notion.

      Delete
  2. This is totally random: when I saw this as a thumbnail, and read the title, for a split second I thought you had somehow gotten a hold of a T-shirt from a very small rancho in Guanajuato, Mexico, called El Tigre. I have family there, and they own a T-shirt factory that churns out T-shirts with Tigers (among many other, copyright infringed designs). Of course, that was crazy. Your top looks totally cute. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hilarious. Now I'm wondering if I've ever had any of their shirts unknowingly.

      Delete