Thursday, July 12, 2012

Shocking Pink Shirt: FAIL


This is the best I've ever looked in this shirt. It's perfect for when I stand on a chair and peruse our CD collection with one hand on my hip. Which I do every day never.

I imagined pixielink's dreamy 1 piece Kimono tee pattern as an eye-popping pink summer dress with contrasting orange bias tape trim. Instead, I created this nightmare.

Error 1: Choosing a fabric that was too stiff. This pattern is beautiful in a fluid fabric and sporty in cotton jersey. This polyester version looks like a shiny pink sack.

Error 2: Using a woven fabric for a knit pattern without going up a size and/or adding darts. This pattern is a loose fit, but not loose enough where I need it. See how tight the shirt is around the bust and hips and baggy everywhere else? Ick.

Error 3: Failing to add an inch or two of fitting ease in the bottom half of the dress, which I created by extending the pattern into an A-line skirt based on my hip measurements. Pin fitting got downright dangerous around my hips, with pins popping in all directions across our studio. Rather than attempt to widen the skirt (à la my Wild Flag fail), I chopped it off.

I'm not sure how to salvage this one. Since the sleeves are cut as one with the body, it would be tricky to adjust/eliminate them. Adding bust darts and a zipper may also be too big a challenge. Maybe chop off the top and turn it into a shirred tube top? Because I wear those all the time (not).

Even though this attempt was a failure, I'm still in love with the pattern. I wear this version from last year constantly.


And perhaps there's hope yet for a dress variation? With these lovely pieces as inspiration, it's hard to let the idea go.

L: Nani Iro Fuccra Kimono by katriniella
R: dress (1 piece kimono tee) by yoshimi the flying squirrel

No comments:

Post a Comment