Monday, August 20, 2012

Laptop Sleeve (and unintentional coasters): PASS

When life hands you lemons, make some coasters to go with your gin. Preferably Leopold's.

Laptop sleeves aren't rocket science: calculate the size of two rectangles and think about how they fit together. That last part that tripped me up.



Elizabeth from Oh, Fransson! shared this impeccably written and illustrated laptop sleeve tutorial on Sew, Mama, Sew! She clearly states that the length is the short side of your laptop and the width is the long side. I got this right for the main panel. But I made the flap eight inches too long. (Oh how far I have fallen from receiving that medal in high school from the Society of Women Engineers.)

There was no way I was going to chuck this beautifully topstitched piece of work. Two cuts and some quick serging turned the flap into coasters. If the mishmash of serged and topstiched sides bothers anyone they clearly need more gin.

This isn't my first foray into laptop sleeves. I've gotten great results from this tutorial twice before. Perhaps I rushed it this time? Next time I'll remember to slow down and think like a preschooler. It doesn't take an engineer to match the big and little rectangles. 





3 comments: