Sunday, January 6, 2013

Curtain Panel Cape: FAIL

It's hard sometimes to find the line between trying something new and trying to be something you're not. Take capes. Seriously, who wears these besides superheroes? (And Jon Pertwee's version of the Doctor, who you may or may not count in that category.)

I'll tell you who: yoshimi. When I saw her rocking her take on the BurdaStyle Sarah cape back in 2007, I knew I had to try it.

yoshimi's super version
Key differences between super seamstress yoshimi and me:
  • yoshimi has impeccable taste in fabric and selected a smokin' hot animal print for her cape. I have a history of inappropriate fabric choices. Like this discarded curtain panel.
  • yoshimi appears completely comfortable and stylish in a voluminous cape. I can't stand extra fabric around my arms and sides and so I added elastic to the back and sleeves (instead of choosing not to make a voluminous cape in the first place...)
And finally:
  • yoshimi is a microbiologist.  I fulfilled my college science credits with Practical Botany and History of the Atomic Bomb.
No more capes for me. I ever see phone booth, I'll only try to use it to make calls.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you referenced The Doctor.

    I actually don't think your cape looks too bad, but if you don't feel comfortable wearing it then it doesn't matter how good it looks.

    It's easy to get carried away sometimes, especially in this modern day of Pinterest and free internet tutorials, and make something that looks totally great on the screen but really doesn't suit us or our personalities at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so, true. Thanks for the vote up on the cape. Maybe I'll post it as a giveaway so someone who is comfortable with billowy sleeves can get some good use out of it!

    Speaking of the Doctor, and this modern age, and wanting things that we may not need, have you seen this fabric on Spoonflower? Would make the best kitchen towels, if I were to spend that kind of dough on them. :)

    http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/758688

    ReplyDelete