Monday, September 2, 2013

Classroom Chair Pocket: PASS


On Wednesday my son's school is back in session and his teacher will be handing out these classroom chair pockets. The students keep their pens, whiteboards, and other supplies stuffed inside. After years of use, about half the pockets were in disrepair. I volunteered to replace them over the summer. A brilliant (but unknown to me) parent came up with the design. All I had to do was copy it. Simple...

...or maybe not. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out how to accurately copy the design. Then about 2/3 of the way through, I realized I had been finishing the hems improperly. The hem on the pocket was beautiful, but the hem on the back panel was was ugly side out.  How annoying!

To save you any such hassle, I've put together a tutorial for making your very own classroom (or playroom) chair pockets. I claim no design credit, only authorship of the not-to-scale drawings and the instructions. This is my first sewing tutorial, so let me know if it's useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment