Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Laugh-In Workout Pants: FAIL


When I wore these to class on Tuesday, one of my students asked if I had ever seen Laugh-In. Shocking as this print might be at 6:30 in the morning, it's not the reason for the failing grade. 

A one-dollar sale lured me into the trap of trying to make a pattern into something it's not (like with my flowery party dress). One look at the fashion photography for McCall's 6404  tells you these aren't workout pants. I cut a size medium thinking they might even be a bit small after my summer sloth. But no, they were baggy as all get-out, even after taking in the outside and inside seams.

My other mistake was lining them in swimsuit fabric. The print fabric was too sheer to go it alone, but adding a thick layer really keeps in the heat. It's been nice on my chilly bike commutes this week, but not during my workouts.



One thing I did do right was to swap out the elasticized waist with a mega fold-over waistband à la Oona. That woman is a genius!

The idea is to use a folded piece of your fashion fabric, so that the nice side shows when you fold down your waistband. I had to chop a lot of fabric out of the back waistband to eliminate sagging and gaping, which made the inside too ugly to show. But let's be real, I'm not going to be folding down my pants (or wearing body paint and a bikini) any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment