Thursday, May 1, 2014

Announcements: Spring Top Surprises and Me Made May



When my friend's son was a teenager he used to say he couldn't imagine a life where he wasn't famous. Sometimes things just don't turn out as planned. Like these spring tops.

Last year I took a chance on a pattern with a drape top and loooooved it. But within a month, the facing curled up at the bottom, making a prominent line right across my chest. No amount of pressing could straighten it out. The shirt sank further and further back into my closet until I had to admit it was time for the refashion pile.

Last month I tried the Sewaholic Renfrew and was unimpressed with my results. The shirt grew to enormous proportions while I was sewing, yet stretched across my bust in a schlubby (vs. sports bar waitstaff) kind of way. I discovered a trip through the dryer would stabilize the fabric long enough to wear for a day. A trip to the bra store took care of the rest. This shirt has been in heavy rotation ever since.

Which is all a big lead-in to Spring Top Sewalong 2014 and Me-Made-May 14. I'm hoping to make at least one more spring top before the sewalong ends next week. And I plan to wear one piece of me-made or me-rafashioned clothing during the month of May. My intention is to give some items I haven't worn in a while a chance to shine. Like my friend's fame-seeking son, who is now in his 20s, there's plenty of time left for surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment