Sunday, May 25, 2014

Dino Jammies: PASS


It was two days before my husband took off for a visit with friends and the Maine Comic Arts Festival. He poked a finger through the giant hole in the crotch of his pj pants and said, "So, I'm going to wear these if you don't make another pair."

That hole was only the latest issue in this raggedy pair of Simplicity 2823 pants. I had made several repairs, but the pants were just too far gone to mend again. Instead of going back to the pattern, I cut open the piggy print pants and laid them directly on the fabric. This meant I could cut just two pieces (right and left sides) instead of the four called for in the original pattern. This is how Made by Rae's Parsley Pants are laid out and it is a real time saver. I skipped making a casing (which I suck at) and applied the elastic directly (like in this Cal Patch tutorial). Start to finish, the project took maybe two hours.

I was just about to pat myself on the back when my husband tried on the final product. "Hmm. Were these legs always so balloony? And the waist so saggy?" he asked. Uh, oh. I had just stolen the elastic stashed away for pj's for leggings, so I had reused his old elastic. Guess it had lost some of its elasticity. And maybe his old pants had stretched out, making for a larger pair when I traced them?

I busted out my serger. We pinched out the excess in the legs and waist, then I ran new lines of stitching. Elegant? Not at all. Effective? Absolutely. My husband had a decent pair of jammies for his trip. And he says that they are the best fitting pair he's ever had!


2 comments:

  1. Mwah! http://homophonesweakly.blogspot.com/2014/06/sew-so-sow.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You da best. And now if any of your readers click over here, they can see the non-cartoon version of the Homophones, Weakly author!

      Delete