Sunday, May 11, 2014

Striped Renfrew: PASS



As soon as I finished my first Sewaholic Renfrew, I wanted a striped one with a superhero-sized waistband and cuffs. When I found this aqua and spring green striped jersey knit at the thrift store, a perfect match for the baby rib knit in my stash, it was too perfect.

Not for long! I spaced out and forgot to cut the front on the fold. I didn't even notice until it was time to attach the neckband that I had an unintentional cardigan on my hands.

I wasn't going to let one mistake foil my plans. I cut a stripe in the rib knit to join the right and left sides together. The Sew Ann Arbor ladies said they liked it even better that way. Yeah, design element...

The rest came together quite easily.

However.

If I were paying attention to seam allowances, I would have noticed the bottom stripe would be reduced to a sliver in the final product and adjusted accordingly. You'll see I stretched out the center strip of fabric when applying the neckband, which could probably have been prevented by using a double layer of the baby rib.


I should also figure out my back fitting issues. There's an extra flop of fabric at the neckline and some bunching at the waist. Swayback? Rounded shoulders? Does anyone know what's happening here?

Despite its shortcomings, nothing can stop me from wearing this shirt. Well, maybe the crush of indie comic fans at the Toronto Comic Arts Festival or a similar heat-producing crowd. I was roasting in my long sleeves and wide cuffs. Thank goodness it's not a dressing up kind of convention. Neoprene-wearing superheroes probably would have fainted.



4 comments:

  1. I really like it! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute! What a great fix---totally looks intentional! You could be on Project Runway. =) But wait, would you want to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I don't think I could handle the pressure. I did a one-hour pillow making contest at the American Sewing Expo and that was enough to get my heart racing. :)

      Delete