Sunday, November 22, 2015

Basic Baby Pants: PASS


I attended a baby shower recently for a coworker and his wife who are expecting twins. TWINS! That's twice as cute as just one baby! So, in addition to books (because reading to babies from birth is a good thing), I sewed up two pairs of baby pants. Which are twice as cute as just one pair.

It's been a long time since I sewed baby pants. I don't own a pattern for anything smaller than size 3T. An internet search led me to Rae's basic newborn pant sewing pattern, which she generously offers for free on her blog. I make the Made-by-Rae Parsley Pants and Flashback Skinny Tee on a regular basis, so I knew this pattern would be good.

You guys, this PDF pattern is adorable. It's so tiny! It's also easy to make, has instructions for extras like contrast cuffs and pockets, and uses barely any fabric at all.

I chose two flannel prints from my stash. The blue pair is a remnant I bought five years ago and have had tucked away ever since. The green pair is leftover lining fabric from our laptop sleeve.


I used French seams to prevent fraying and roughness. This made the crotch seam a bit thick, so maybe I'll rethink that for the next pair. I also had to cut away some of the seam allowance that was folded on itself at the waist in order to leave enough room for the waistband elastic.

This was definitely a small effort, big payoff kind of make. I can't wait to sew another pair. The next office baby arrives in May, so I don't have to wait long.

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Rayquaza Costume: PASS


Pokémon is a powerful force in our household, making up at least 60% of our daily discussions. (There's been a decrease due to new guidelines such as "reciting Pokémon statistics does not qualify as conversation.") So it only follows that my kid broke his four-year inanimate object costume streak this Halloween by dressing as his favorite Pokémon, Rayquaza.


We spent an afternoon searching for inspiration and sketching up ideas. Though there are jaw-dropping, intricate, and even sexy Rayquaza costumes out there, this simple version was the most helpful when planning our design.


Projects like this one make me so grateful to be married to an artist.  While I figured out the construction for the tail, he drew templates for the head pieces and painted boxboard for those head extension thingies. I have no doubt that would have taken me ages on my own.


All the materials were harvested from my stash and my kid's dresser. Sewing the felt headpiece to the painted boxboard extensions was the best part. It's fun to see what kind of materials my sewing machine will tolerate.

No, the BEST part was seeing how excited my son was to wear his costume. Maybe he'll even get another year out of it. Or perhaps by next Halloween another obsession will have taken over.